Thursday, February 05, 2004

Do what you love... Be who you are...

So my dad is a simple sort of fellow. He certainly doesn't live a wild and crazy lifestyle. He keeps things relatively simple. No flashy clothes. No flashy cars (anymore). And no flashy women (no offense, ma). But, as the men his age begin collecting big screen TVs, my dad has a new passion. He has a new hobby. A new thrill that helps him be a little bit more of who he exactly is. My dad is collecting things. Now, what might a man collect? Some collect sports memorabilia, some media and electronic equipment, some stamps, some coins, some figurines (those little cars for grown men). My father has set the bar so much higher. He is collecting trucks. Trucks. Real trucks. Classic trucks to be precise. In the past 3 months my father has bought 2 - count 'em, 1, 2 1950s Chevy trucks, both off of eBay.

The first is a 1952 Chevy one ton truck with the wooden sides. It still has original blue paint and many other original features. If you've ever seen the Hidden Valley Ranch commercial, you'll know just what it looks like restored. Now it only runs 35 mph, but that really doesn't matter, does it? I must say that it's quite gorgeous and even though he and mom had to leave on the evening of Thanksgiving to drive pert near Colorado to pick it up, our entire family was excited for him.

However, none of us had any idea that it would lead to an addiction. This past weekend, my dad bought yet another truck. This one's a 1950 1/2 ton Chevy (forgive me if I'm wrong on the specs, dad), bright red and pretty spiffy looking if I do say so myself. At least he only has to drive a couple of hours to get this one in Evansville, IN.

No matter how much we tease him about it all, I must say I have to admire his zeal for what he loves. He's always loved classic vehicles and now, he's living the dream. He's doing what he loves to be a little bit more of who God made him to be. And with his free rebuild kit from good old Chevy (a marketing campaign to help promote and maintain the claims that Chevy trucks are the longest running vehicles out there), he's spending his time doing something he values to be worthwhile. Go dad.

That is not to say that my mother shouldn't delete my brother's eBay account (where all of the dealing is going down), but I'm happy to see my dad happy. It's cool. And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments: