Friday, June 09, 2006

When your husband is a lawyer

When your husband is a lawyer, a quick trip to the grocery store to buy water, milk, and lunch meat can turn into an hour and a half ordeal.

Let me explain, Anna and I quickly ran to Kroger to pick a few minor items. Somehow, an hour and a half later, we ended up with a cart full of things but that's beside the point. So, in the water aisle (we buy bottled water, yes we're water snobs), I picked up three gallons for Kroger Spring Water (while we are snobs, we're not too uppity to buy generic) and turned around to get the Kroger Purified Water 24 pack of bottles. Anna was walking along with me and as we ventured back toward the cart, Anna found a large puddle of water and fell.

The lawyer's daughter slipped and fell in a major chain grocery store. Oh crap, I thought. Brian and I have often joked about the fact that we've many times slipped in a store but never can seem to fall so that we can sue. And here is Anna on the floor, in tears complaining of ankle pain and me realizing that my quick trip has just turned into a long one. I picked her up and dusted her off, did the you're fine talk and then dialed Brian. His directions were to go to the manager, file a report, and make sure that someone mopped it up. We did file a verbal report but that wasn't enough when I called him back so I had to talk to the manager again, look around for the other lady who witnessed the fall and puddle (never did find her), try to take some pics with my phone (which I didn't end up doing b/c I felt like a total tool).

The manager was pretty nice (she took all of our info, talked to B on the phone, and interviewed Anna about the incident) and I'm sure Anna is fine but I guess it's for the best to follow all of the steps just in case there is a problem later on down the road, especially with Anna's challenges due to low tone and loose joints.

Whew, it was not the shopping trip I had planned.

No comments: